Minutes - Advisory Neighborhood Commission 4B
Adopted on January 22, 2009
The meeting started at 6:45 p.m. It was held at
1. The agenda was adopted, as amended, in a unanimous show of hands vote following a motion made by Commissioner Green. The agenda was amended to add a proposed resolution requesting that DDoT provide traffic calming measures in ANC 4B07.
2. Following a motion made by Commissioner Grant, the minutes for the October 6 and October 23 public meetings were adopted in a 4-0-1 show-of-hands vote, with two corrections.
3. In a unanimous show-of-hands vote following a motion made by Commissioner Jones, the Commission agreed to table the adoption of the 4th Quarterly Report for FY '08 (July-September) for two weeks and to hold a special public meeting to review and approve the corrected report. It was noted that interest was not stated on the savings account report and that some invoices and receipts were not included with the report.
4. In a unanimous show-of-hands vote following a motion made by Commissioner Wheeler, the Commission adopted the following resolution:
"Whereas, increased incidents of violence are occurring in parts of ANC 4B Commission and in our neighboring ANC 4C Commission which thereby affects ANC 4B residents,
Whereas residents are concerned that the crime and violence does not seem to be subsiding,
Whereas, a more direct and sustained police presence by foot beat officers helped deter crime and violence in areas of our Ward,
Whereas, 26 new foot beat officers are currently being trained for service in Ward 4,
Be it therefore resolved that ANC 4B requests of Commander Brown that additional foot beat officers be assigned to the trouble spots in our ANC 4B Commission and our neighboring 4C Commission, as soon as possible after they have completed their training. "
5. In a unanimous show-of-hands vote following a motion made by Commissioner Grant, the Commission voted to support a request for a traffic-calming study made by Alison Brooks, of 5601 First Street, NE, for measures that will reduce speeding, traffic flow, and illegal turns onto First Street, NE. Ms. Brooks gave the Commission a
completed "Request for Transportation Audit" Form and a "Petition to Install Speed
6. In a unanimous
show-of-hands vote following a motion made by Commissioner Jones, the
Commission adopted a detailed resolution specifying a series of traffic calming
measures needed for
1. Jason Turner, of
the D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation, gave a status report on the
construction of the
Mr. Turner also said the indoor basketball court at
2. Lawrence Martin, of Citizens Aware, a community organization, distributed a written report on the $1,000 grant the group received for Club anti-car theft devices. He also gave Treasurer Frederick Grant a check in the amount of $8.70 to cover the funds not expended.
3. Commissioner Jefferson reported on a community meeting held on November 13 at Riggs Lasalle Recreation Center to discuss Riggs Plaza, a large retail and residential development slated for the area around the Riggs Road, 3rd Street, and South Dakota Avenue intersection. She said the community is waiting to learn more about the reconfiguration of the intersection. Also, the proposed height of the buildings is greater than the community wants, she said. The proposal will go to the D.C. City Council for approval in February 2009.
4. Treasurer Grant reported on a small claims court suit filed by Commissioner Malik F. M Johnson (4B04) seeking reimbursement for expenses he incurred.
--- Submitted by Sara Green, Secretary